4 January 2013

A Bright New Year...

I am known for wearing black. It's what I do. Preferring to express myself in other ways: through assorted hues of lipsticks, handbags, shoes, even furniture but always through flowers. 




Amanda called just after 8.00 this morning. I was at home eating breakfast; sitting in a silver Louis XV look-alike chair upholstered in a shocking pink velvet. I had an important meeting in a couple of hours and was enjoying a slow start to what would become a busy day and thinking what to wear. Black, black or black? At the end of our call, as girls are wont to do, the conversation turned to my possible attire. 

"You should wear colour!" She said. I'm sure I gasped in horror.  "It's a New Year." She insisted.

"Have you photographed the flowers yet?" I asked, changing the subject. 

"Not yet. It's grey outside". She said. 

"I know", I replied. 







I got dressed: accents of dove grey and silver on black. Not sure anyone noticed that I coordinated with the weather but they say that first and foremost, a woman should dress for herself. So I did. And with a nod to the New Year, I wore pink lipstick. 

The sun was shining as I came out of my meeting and drove back to the office. The first thing I did, upon sitting down at my desk, was to check and see if Amanda had uploaded the images. Not yet it appeared.  Moments later she called.  "You should see the flowers!" She exclaimed. I had to laugh.

And as I logged on, each image began to reveal itself; much like a peep show. Hues of fuchsia, burnt orange and lime green. Bloom after bloom after bloom captured in such a way to show off nature's diversity and complexity. I loved that our vases were featured too. 

The magenta anemone that always makes me feel so delicate, feminine and fliratious, black eyes flecked with yellow and navy surrounds. 




Fire engine red pin cushion Protea from South Africa. 



Ranunculus tinged in a Chinese Red, a vibrant mustard orange and Kryptonite Green, all waiting to unfold.  





And the most perfect variety of pink and green Ranunculas...




... reminding me of layer upon layer of petticoats.









All our flowers arrive in limited quantities. Perfect for your home or office or as a gift. 

2013 had arrived and our lives were filled with colour. It may be January but it feels like spring in my heart.  

...njb

No comments:

Post a Comment