9 October 2013

Plus ça change

My life slowly bleeds from one moment into another. I am this solo passenger on a fast track commuter train that whooshes past the different stations without stopping. I stand there with feet firmly planted. And, holding on, watch the scenery go by. Minutes pass and quickly forward into days and as I look back in disbelief, I wonder where all the time went. 

Yesterday I came across a long forgotten piece of paper in the back of my desk drawer, hidden behind an expired gift certificate; the sepia ink had faded. In my best private school girl penmanship I had written "plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose." (trans: the more things change, the more they stay the same).  



As I looked at Amanda's images she'd captured earlier today, I thought about the veracity of that expression. We see trends become fads become trends again but there is a simple elegance of flowers that remains a constant. It's familiar and it's what we come back to time and time again as we hurtle through the days that make up our lives. We realize that the things we love and what we have always loved will remain the same...njb


















No comments:

Post a Comment