7 October 2013

Fade to black

We are naturally drawn to certain colours. Our choices define us; a subliminal statement about what we're wanting to portray. I prefer black. I imagine my edges becoming blurred and my physical self fading to nothing. Disappearing, my words and actions have no choice but to stand out.

But flowers are not meant to be invisible. Their chaotic symphony of colours demand attention. Each colour representing a meaning. When Andrea captured last week's floral shipment, I was overwhelmed initially. The profusion of colours splashed across Dropbox. It was not until today that I was able to sit down and truly see the beauty of her work. And because I try to find order, even in nature, I began grouping the colours together. Crimson and tangerine, violet, soft pink, the deepest shade of purple. Lime against magenta. Most often I was drawn to images where the background faded from slate to black allowing the flowers to stand out.

Most often people come in and ask for a colourful bouquet. I wondered what they really meant by that. So I decided to explore colour...

Red: The colour of strength, power, determination, passion and love


Orange: Combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. 
It's associated with joy, enthusiasm, creativity, success and encouragement. 




Red orange: desire, sexual passion and pleasure



Green: Symbolizes growth and hope, harmony, freshness and fertility. 
It's the most restful colour to the eye. 


Pink: Romance, love and friendship



Purple combines the stability of blue and the energy of red. It symbolizes power, luxury and ambition. It's associated with wisdom, independence, creativity and mystery
Light purple evokes romantic feelings











Blue symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom and confidence, intelligence, faith, truth and heaven. 
Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. 
(Blue yellow is the perfect colour scheme for a super hero)


I have to thank Andrea Tsai Barker for so brilliantly stepping in while Amanda was away and so beautifully capturing each week's shipment. Thank you, thank you, thank you. If you ever give up your career in finance, please do consider being part of our marketing team. 
With the greatest appreciation, 
Nikki 


While there is a dark side to colour, it it my nature to focus instead on the more positive attributes. I have absolutely used artistic licence with the descriptors selected from the colour library. Any omissions are mine alone.

If you are interested in learning more about colour, there are some terrific sources on the web. 
Source for the above content: http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html

What's your favourite colour?  

...njb












No comments:

Post a Comment