6 December 2012

19 Days ...






There is such a distinctive smell about pine trees, it reminds one of well... Christmas.  Each morning, as the sun rises and the first designer enters the studio, the clock ticks towards our opening hour. Each consecutive staff member arrives and takes an unconscious inhalation, then there is a moment of deep satisfaction, of recognition. The air is heady with the fragrance of Christmas.

I tend to be a bit grumpy around Christmas time. So much to do and there never seems to be enough time. The pine needles from the Christmas trees make their way into my office, into the hallways, into the kitchen and the glitter... the glitter is everywhere. I thought I banned it this year.

Marguerite stood in my doorway holding a naked wreath and asked me what colourway I would like to use. We were putting the wreath on the gate leading to our front door. I was in the middle of writing an email and, so deep in thought, was momentarily confused by her question. I looked back at my computer and back at her. Knowing that selecting the colours would only take a moment, I got up and began to select ribbon.

I stepped outside to better see the colours in a natural light and stood for a moment enjoying the warm sunlight.  I let the different spools of ribbon trail between my fingers; there is something so sensuous about double faced satin. After selecting a rich purple and a colour I have now chosen to call Mink; so much sexier than mushroom, I stepped back inside.  The smell of Christmas embraced me.  The new chalkboard had been put on the wall and declared "19 Days until Christmas". Suddenly I didn't notice the pine needles or the glitter, the chaos and mayhem of ribbon and baubles, instead I noticed the smell of Christmas and suddenly I could not wait.......... njb

No comments:

Post a Comment