24 December 2012

It's Christmas Eve


There is something about the day before Christmas, and the days leading up to it, that pushes one to reach out to friends and family. It's as if there is a burning need to reconnect and make up for the time when one didn't make time for the other. Some people are brilliant at keeping in touch. Others, like me, not so much. It's easy to allow the madness of the days to overlap, for work to take over and somehow be okay with that. Tomorrow.... I'd promise myself.

Yesterday I called Amanda between walking the pups and going into the studio. "Stop by and see the flowers", she exclaimed. I distractedly looked at my watch, knowing the work load I had to get through, but turned the car around all the same.

I was having dinner with her on Christmas Eve and she'd spent the morning making the most amazing floral arrangements with some of the flowers that had arrived on Friday.


I have stopped being horrified at how Amanda puts flowers together. There is an absolute beauty in her free form arrangements. Her love of flowers and ability to see life through the lens allows her to create a structure (of sorts) from mayhem and madness. We chatted about the flowers that had woody stems and how much easier they were to use in an arrangement than those that were more delicate. The jonquils were scattered throughout, the seeded eucalyptus and thistle from weeks ago, had dried and added depth and texture.






The anemones had slowly opened revealing their black centres and were looking quite cheeky. Ranunculas and sweet pea, freesia and lilac all wrestled for my attention which I happily gave - admiring the table and arrangements from all angles. It was simply beautiful.

For those who are not as daring, or need a little direction, you really must join our workshop held by one of our very talented floral designers on January 28, 2013


Amanda had taken the eucalyptus and made the wreath I had chatted about - it was so lovely to see another variation of a common theme. so much so we were brimming with ideas for next Christmas.


Wherever you are and whomever you're with, don't wait until tomorrow to tell someone you care and to capture all that is beautiful about life and the happiness that flowers can bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment