7 December 2012

It's Friday


There are some flowers that every time you see them, take your breath away. For me, it's a Gloriosa Lily. The curves - feminine, the colour - my favourite. They are elegant and sassy. But despite their courageous outward appearance, inside they are fragile. I think all of us are a bit like that. If you were a flower, which one would you be?




Why is the Scottish accent so mesmorizing? The roll of the tongue over certain words sounds almost like a purr. I am sure I catch less than half of what is said, so caught up by its caress. But like any strong accent, it's distinctive as is their national symbol - The Thistle.

In the studio we love using it in bouquets with similar hues and at home, I mix it with sprigs of rosemary from the garden.    





Amanda had muddled the flowers to great effect. The eucalyptus, Brunia and gold mokara orchids from a photo shoot weeks ago were still alive and well and thriving in her living room. 

We've become so used to seeing flowers so beautifully arranged by our florists that I was momentarily horrified to see the new selection of Friday's flowers in the same silver teapot. But is that what life is all about? ...Taking what you have, adding something new and somehow coming up with something even better....




Roses are like the perfect student who sits at the front of the class and gets straight A's. I often wish they had more character and in some way demanded something from me.  I have been incredibly fortunate to have received many a bouquet. The purity of their beauty and intention, obvious.  But that does not stop me wanting. More. So you can imagine my delight at seeing this rose "Finess" as it was unpacked. It's creamy, apricot colour fringed with green stopped me from removing too many of the guard petals, those that surround and protect. It implored me to bury my nose into the heart of its being. It reminded me of a cabbage, I almost wanted to take a nibble - so glad no one was watching!





Kangaroo Paw - available in red and black. It's sort of furry and I am sure it tickles you when touched!




I can't wait for Peony season to start - they remind me of the Governor's feathered hat.







No comments:

Post a Comment